Outsourcer demands to lift ban
KATHMANDU, April 19:
Outsourcers demanded to lift ban from the Gulf countries saying ‘there is no security threat to Nepali workers’.
“Political unrest in the Gulf countries is over,” said president of Nepal Association of Foreign Employment Agencies (NAFEA) Som Lal Bataju at an interaction with Ministry of Labour and Transport Management (MoLTM) here today.
After the government had to rescue over 1,800 Nepalis trapped in anti-government protest in Libya last month, it had temporarily banned Gulf countries — Bahrain and Oman — in February.
Political unrest in Middle East and North African countries had affected Nepali overseas job market in last two months that has witnessed 10 per cent fall in demand.
According to outsourcers, delay in lifting the ban on Bahrain and Oman may hit Nepalis overseas jobs further. “If we don’t open the destination soon, they will be diverted to other source country,” said former president of NAFEA Tilak Rana Bhat.
The ministry is positive on lifting the bank and the ban might be lifted within a week. The government has lifted travel ban earlier this month but work permits have not been issued to migrant workers.
“The ministry will lift ban after consulting to Ministry of Foreign Affairs,” the ministry said, adding that it doesnot have source to verify security situation in the host countries.
Nepali Club in Bahrain had sent a letter to the government to lift the ban on Nepali workers to Bahrain last week. The club had said that Bahrain has to normalcy in recent days and there is no risk to foreign workers.
About 60,000 to 70,000 Nepali migrant workers are estimated to be working in the destination. However, legal migrant workers are only half.
According to Department of Foreign Employment (DoFE), around 22,564 Nepalis are working in Bahrain and 11,473 in Oman.
Source:THT
Outsourcers demanded to lift ban from the Gulf countries saying ‘there is no security threat to Nepali workers’.
“Political unrest in the Gulf countries is over,” said president of Nepal Association of Foreign Employment Agencies (NAFEA) Som Lal Bataju at an interaction with Ministry of Labour and Transport Management (MoLTM) here today.
After the government had to rescue over 1,800 Nepalis trapped in anti-government protest in Libya last month, it had temporarily banned Gulf countries — Bahrain and Oman — in February.
Political unrest in Middle East and North African countries had affected Nepali overseas job market in last two months that has witnessed 10 per cent fall in demand.
According to outsourcers, delay in lifting the ban on Bahrain and Oman may hit Nepalis overseas jobs further. “If we don’t open the destination soon, they will be diverted to other source country,” said former president of NAFEA Tilak Rana Bhat.
The ministry is positive on lifting the bank and the ban might be lifted within a week. The government has lifted travel ban earlier this month but work permits have not been issued to migrant workers.
“The ministry will lift ban after consulting to Ministry of Foreign Affairs,” the ministry said, adding that it doesnot have source to verify security situation in the host countries.
Nepali Club in Bahrain had sent a letter to the government to lift the ban on Nepali workers to Bahrain last week. The club had said that Bahrain has to normalcy in recent days and there is no risk to foreign workers.
About 60,000 to 70,000 Nepali migrant workers are estimated to be working in the destination. However, legal migrant workers are only half.
According to Department of Foreign Employment (DoFE), around 22,564 Nepalis are working in Bahrain and 11,473 in Oman.
Source:THT
