CIAA tells govt to stop budget reallocations
KATHMANDU, JUN 14 -
The Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA) on Monday directed the government to stop random transfers of budget allocations from one head to another before the beginning of the new fiscal year except for programmes related to national priority and natural calamities.
The CIAA’s instruction came after the Nepali Congress complained that the government was misusing the state coffers by moving funds from one budget heading to another through various ministries.
The CIAA in its letter has instructed the government not to run projects that have not been approved by the National Planning Commission and which are not mentioned in the budget.
The CIAA has written to the Prime Minister’s Office, National Planning Commission, Finance Ministry, Energy Ministry, Tourism Ministry and other ministries.
The parliamentary Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has already instructed the government to transfer budget allocations only for programmes related to national priority and natural calamities.
PAC has issued the directive in a bid to curb haphazard transfers of budget allocations by various ministries.
The Nepali Congress in its letter to the CIAA had stated that transfers of budget allocations from one head to another had happened in the ministries of Physical Planning and Works, Local Development, Agriculture and Health.
According to the Finance Ministry, a total of Rs 16.41 billion was transferred from one heading to another. The ministry said that additional resources had been allocated for national-level projects only.
Last year too, the CIAA had halted the transfer of resources to new projects under three programmes after finding out that they had been created to serve the interest of ministers, lawmakers and politicians. The anti-graft body has halted new projects under the National Planning Commission, Ministry of Local Development and Ministry of Physical Planning and Works.
Source: Kantipur
The Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA) on Monday directed the government to stop random transfers of budget allocations from one head to another before the beginning of the new fiscal year except for programmes related to national priority and natural calamities.
The CIAA’s instruction came after the Nepali Congress complained that the government was misusing the state coffers by moving funds from one budget heading to another through various ministries.
The CIAA in its letter has instructed the government not to run projects that have not been approved by the National Planning Commission and which are not mentioned in the budget.
The CIAA has written to the Prime Minister’s Office, National Planning Commission, Finance Ministry, Energy Ministry, Tourism Ministry and other ministries.
The parliamentary Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has already instructed the government to transfer budget allocations only for programmes related to national priority and natural calamities.
PAC has issued the directive in a bid to curb haphazard transfers of budget allocations by various ministries.
The Nepali Congress in its letter to the CIAA had stated that transfers of budget allocations from one head to another had happened in the ministries of Physical Planning and Works, Local Development, Agriculture and Health.
According to the Finance Ministry, a total of Rs 16.41 billion was transferred from one heading to another. The ministry said that additional resources had been allocated for national-level projects only.
Last year too, the CIAA had halted the transfer of resources to new projects under three programmes after finding out that they had been created to serve the interest of ministers, lawmakers and politicians. The anti-graft body has halted new projects under the National Planning Commission, Ministry of Local Development and Ministry of Physical Planning and Works.
Source: Kantipur
